[CentOS] is it possible to resive a PV in LVM and add more LV's ?

Mon May 11 20:24:04 UTC 2009
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Flaherty, Patrick <pflaherty at wsi.com>wrote:

> Rudi is right, the easiest/fastest thing to do is to just add the new
> partition to the pv and expand your lvs as you see fit. But if someone
> ever wants to resize a pv I have done it on some vm hosts. It a touch
> scary but straight forward (make backups!). It really can only be done
> on drives where the lvm is the last partition, or partitions after the
> lvm partition is perishable data (swap).
>
> The steps (from memory lacking arguments)
> * fdisk -l /dev/sda (whatever the physical drive is) and write down all
> the partition information (make sure you get block alignment if you've
> changed that).
> * remove the exisiting lvm partiton and whatever partitions are after
> it.
> * recreate the lvm partition with whatever extra size you want and set
> it's type. The os won't recognize the extra space.
> * reboot, the os recognises the space
> * run pvresize
> * run pvscan
> * use vgdisplay to find out how many extents available. if you want to
> extend a logical volume to the entire pvolume size.
> * use resize2fs to extend the filesystem on the volume online.
> * use tune2fs to reduce the number of blocks reserved for root to 1%

thanx guys :) I ended up sending the server back to the IDC to have it
repartitioned by the techs, since they have direct access to the server and
the installation DVD's.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers