[CentOS] Calendar server

Tue May 12 17:27:53 UTC 2009
Max Hetrick <maxhetrick at verizon.net>

Scott Silva wrote:

> Most of my users seem OK with it. I was running it side by side with roundcube
> as a test, and most users seem to like the extra bits. Besides, horde keeps
> compatibility with less than brand new PHP versions, but Roundcube insists you
> have the newest PHP installed everytime they generate a new version. I just
> can't hack a production server every few months at the whim of developers that
> want to play in a new sandbox every week.
>
> Squirrelmail is supposed to have many addons like shared addressbooks and
> calendars, but it seems that many of the apps don't play well with others. I
> gave up on trying to get them to work.
>
> As for IMAP access, Horde is fine. It will also work with other backends like
> Kolab if you so choose. I also didn't want to use Zimbra because I run my own
> spam and virus scanning, and I didn't want to "downgrade" to what Zimbra
> thinks works. And Horde has been around for a long time, and seems to stay
> current. The devels are very active, and patches come out regularly.

I have it up and running already on a test machine. Seems pretty
straight-forward. I found a nice guide to installing and configuring it
on the Horde wiki, actually. Perhaps someone else can benefit from it as
well.

http://wiki.horde.org/CentOS5InstallationNotes

I'm pretty impressed so far. Another thing about Zimbra that I don't
like is that it keeps all of it's mail stores in some strange numbered
format. You can just access a user's mailbox by name, which could be an
issue down the road with restoring backups, etc.

In this instance, Horde would just replace SquirrelMail, or for that
matter, they could run side-by-side if so desired. Squirrelmail has been
great for my organization for quite a few years, but it's just time for
something a bit more suited to groupware-like use.

Plus, we have an old version of PHP Groupware as a calendar, and I've
never liked the package, and I'd like to combine some of these items
into one package to maintain and worry about.

Thanks again,
Max