[CentOS] LVM, SATA controllers and BIOS devices

Tue May 12 17:32:38 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 11:43 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> On May 12, 2009, at 11:28 AM, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > For the OP's situation, might need to search a little further to get
> > the same results. But I think it's surely something in the initrd,
> > even
> > if the driver is the same.
>
> OK, so two hits on initrd, I'll go and read up on that.
>
> Just to be clear, it could still be an initrd issue even if the card
> was working with one drive attached?

IMO, yes (maybe). When the Initial install is done, I think there is
some stuff that is needed in the initrd to find the disk so root can be
mounted. I'm not sure which initrd file contains it, but I think it's
got to be there somewhere. There are some more considerations I had
forgotten.

I'm not that familiar with the (relatively) new device manager stuff,
but I would expect that some reference to the equivalent of sda (or
somesuch - maybe a device manager specific construct?) will be in some
files(s).

There is another possibility? Grub installs a stage2 (IIRC) file that
has specific device in it. That's probably your next point of failure (I
don't recall what your original failure mode was).

A brief reminder: when BIOS picks another disk to boot, or finds another
HD and reshuffles, it "rotates" the drive assignments. Depending on
where it inserted the new HD (let's assume the new one was inserted as
the "first" drive), what was 0x80 becomes 0x81, former 0x81 becomes
0x82, etc. These equate to {s/h}da, db, etc.

So, you'll probably have a two-step adjustment. The mkinitrd (might be
nothing in there needing changing because it may work off the grub
passed stuff - I don't recall) and a re-install of grub to get the new
stage2 (IIRC). Look also at the /boot/grub/menu.lst - might need
something in there.

Last, you may need to look at /etc/fstab.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific - it's been too long since I worked
with this stuff.

Best I can do w/o actual reading/experimenting is clues.'

> --Chris
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--