[CentOS] Network Install Procedure Question

Thu May 14 15:29:40 UTC 2009
Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG>

Hi there --

That was it...thanks for the help. The netinstall worked without problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of
Tim Shubitz
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:00 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Network Install Procedure Question

On May 13, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> Yes, I read that section. What I am asking is the following: When
> entering the
> information into the fields, the URL for one of the mirror sites
> would be on
> the first line. When I went to several of the mirror sites, the iso
> images were
> there, but there were no directories listed for the packages. If
> that is the
> case, am I going to be downloading the .iso images during the
> install, or is
> there
> a directory at that or some other location that contains the
> packages needed for
> the installation to proceed?

I think I see what you're asking.

If you start out at http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5.3/isos/
i386/ and choose a mirror (say,
http://mirrors.bluehost.com/centos/5.3/isos/i386/)
  you'll be presented with a list of the ISOs for CentOS.

What the netinstall is looking for is a few directories back and down
from this location.

By clicking on "Parent Directory" two times and drilling down into "os/
i386," THIS is directory path that you want to enter into the
netinstall part of the CentOS installer.

 From the example mirror above, the first line would be...

	mirrors.bluehost.com

and the second line would be...

	centos/5.3os/i386

The installer goes into the "images" directory and downloads
"stage2.img" to continue with the net-based  installation.

Hope that helps.

--
Tim Shubitz
IT Coordinator