[CentOS] Kickstart hang trying to install CentOS 5.3

Fri May 15 03:36:06 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Alfred von Campe wrote:

> I waited overnight and it was still hung in the morning.  My local
> mirror is on the LAN, so it's not a network issue.

hmm, is your package selection particularly complex? In my case
I list hundreds of packages in my %packages section I don't have
groups and stuff. I assume your using a stock CentOS install
and you didn't put any of your own 3rd party rpms in the installation
and update the comps.xml(?) file to include them?

A P4 3Ghz is plenty to install CentOS, I install CentOS 5.2 at least
on 2Ghz systems with 1GB or less ram(running in VMs), I do get about
a 2-4 minute pause but nothing as severe as what you see.

I'm not sure what to suggest..if your packages selection is complex
try simplifying it. I believe what is going on during that stage is
it's calculating all of the dependencies and stuff.

I don't expect strace to be installed as part of the stage2 installer
if it were it'd be interesting to know what exactly it's doing..

nate