[CentOS] fsck file system is mounted

Sat May 16 19:41:34 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 11:51 -0700, centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to run fsck or any other program to check if there is
> drive problem. I don't want it repaired, now, but maybe later on.
>
> I can't shutdown the system and reboot in single user-mode.
>
> All suggestions are welcomed.

Along with the -n another suggested, consider two more possibilities.
Probably smartdrive capable disks, you can use the smartd and smartctl
(man pages in section 8) to have non-intrusive monitoring and
diagnostics active. Then reports can be generated.

Another possibility, if allowed by you situation, is to remount the
drive ro (IIRC, mount -o remount,ro <you device or mount path>. No one
will be able to write to the drive at that time, but you should be able
to run the fsck and (IIRC) do repairs if desired.

HTH
--
Bill