[CentOS] CentOS 5.3: duplicate glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6 packages

Mon May 18 04:53:23 UTC 2009
Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>

William R. Lorenz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a freshly installed CentOS 5.3, x86_64 system -- just the Base
> package selection (via custom packages selection), and nothing else.
> Immediately after install (no updates), here's what's in the RPM db:
>
>    [root at dev ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i glib2
>    glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6
>    glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6
>    [root at dev ~]#
>
> I have two questions about this:
>
>    (1) Should this package be listed in the RPM database twice?
>    (2) Should it be listed there with the fc6 extension?
>
> Any insights would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I am not sure why you are seeing the .fc6 extensions I currently see
[root at tempest ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i glib2
glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1.x86_64
glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1.i386

You are seeing the listing twice because one is the 32 bit version and
the other is the 64 Bit version. By default on 64 Bit machines rpm does
not use a query format that shows the arch tag

If you want to be clear about with version of a package you are looking
at create /etc/rpm/macros

with an entry like
%_query_all_fmt         %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Of course you can use any valid query format you like.

I hope this helps :)  I would also recommend you  cat
/etc/redhat-release and see that it looks like

CentOS release 5.3 (Final)