[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Wed May 20 06:48:20 UTC 2009
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Behalf
>Of Robert Heller
>Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:20 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?
>
>> It seems to me that CentOS would be perfect for him except for the need
>> keep it securely patched.  I'm wondering if it's possible to auto-install
>> security updates - for that matter, with so small a set of applications
>> perhaps auto-installing every update would be good enough.

Go for it! Did the same thing for my mother a few years ago. She had WinXP
running in Workgroup mode. Somehow she'd managed to aquire a rootkit on her
computer. After a few hours trying to get rid of it, I gave up, took her
computer home to my place and installed Fedora Core 5. She's now at CentOS
5.3 and happily surfing along. She's most happy with Evolution, it works
very well with for her.

>Rather than do auto updates (sometimes there are conflicts or other
>issues needing *intellegent* intervention -- the recent update from
>CentOS 5.2 to 5.3 required that glibc be updated before the rest of the
>updates for example), maybe you should schedule a regular visit to this
>fellow.

I second that.

That's how I solved updates for the beloved mother, by enabling
yum-updatesd. Yum-cron and yum-updateobboot are both disabled, but may be
useful for simple systems. Minor version updates I do manually for her, and
since I visit her every once in a while I also check up her computer. For
the last three or four years CentOS has been doing very well for her.
--
/Sorin