[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Wed May 20 13:56:12 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Equinox86 <equinox86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > yes centos is not for desktop it's guaranteee, if you don't have much time
> > and want a distro updated at last release, if you have much time to spend to
> > recompile dependences i advice use slackware, is fast and desktop friendly,
> > similar to swiss knife.
> >
> > but if you have a server, probably best choice is centos.
>
> Slackware on the Desktop? We have been using CentOS on our Desktops
> for several years. It is more complicated than Ubuntu (which I've
> never used, but is probably ready to go out of the box, with
> Multimedia running,  but with a short life) or Fedora (which I have
> used, with excellent to bad results, depending on the release),
> because the Multimedia stuff needs to be added, etc. But the
> stability, security and long life make CentOS a winner, if it will run
> on the HW the person has. Probably not the best distro for Laptops,
> but many people on this list are using CentOS on their laptops.

I'm running CentOS 4.8 on a Thinkpad X31.  Works just fine. I am using
the Suspend2 kernel from FC4 (2.6.17-1.2142_1.rhfc4.cubbi_swsusp2).
Everything works just fine including playing music videos w/mplayer
(1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el4.rf). (Just finished this cool Russian video: Dead
Stars by Slot, now playing 99Luftballons by Nena.)  Yes, it is an older
laptop (I would not really want a new one anyway).