[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Fri May 22 01:06:35 UTC 2009
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:13 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 09:30 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
>> I wonder if yum-updatesd might cache repo data separate from yum
>> cache, in which case some older incompatible cached data from the
>> previous version may still be around causing yum-updatesd to bork.
>>
>> If so I think that cache will need to be manually deleted.
>>
>> I'll check my desktop system when I get to work to see if my theory is
>> correct.
>
> The recent problem with having to yum clean all I have gone to the
> extent of testing on a client machine. What i have done is run a cron
> job for yum clean metadata whith a if then yum update. Evidently this is
> not happing to everyone.

You don't need a cron job for this issue, it's a one-time event as the
repo metadata for the new yum isn't compatible with the old yum and if
there was cached old metadata left over after the upgrade, that wasn't
marked stale, then it would cause yum grief. Clearing out the metadata
was the simple fix and only needed to happen once.

I forgot to check to see if yum-updatesd kept a separate metadata
cache too that might need manual clearing out.

-Ross