[CentOS] Gnome terminal oddity

Sun May 24 04:36:22 UTC 2009
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:49, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> If the logged in session in the terminal window is my own user id
> then the delete key does nothing.  If however, I su -l in the same
> terminal window then the delete key removes the character under the
> cursor and left shifts the rest of the line.
>
> I am fairly confident that the delete key worked in the same fashion
> for my usual user id up until quite recently.  Does anyone know of
> why or how this behaviour could differ between two separate users in
> the same terminal window?

I believe it is probably something to do with the profile settings of your user.

Does .bash_profile contain these lines?

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc

Does .bashrc contain these lines?

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc

Are you using the stty command on any of those files?

Are you resetting the value of the TERM variable?

What are the output of "stty" and "echo $TERM" when you run them from
a shell inside your gnome-terminal?

For reference, these are mine:

$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; swtch = M-^?;
ixany iutf8
$ echo $TERM
xterm

You can also compare the output of these commands when you run as root
after doing "su -".

If you create a new user account and log in as the new user in GNOME,
open a new gnome-terminal, do the keys work as you expect them to?

HTH,
Filipe