[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Mon May 25 14:41:57 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> ---Executing: recode

CentOS will work just fine.  (Probably *any* distro will work just
fine.)

CentOS will work with older hardware.  The only hardware that will be
problematical will be winmodems -- *ALL* linux distros do badly with
winmodems.  It is a combination of lack of documentation about what is
going on inside the winmodem and a serious lack of motivation: most
Linux developers have real internet connections and no longer have an
interest in dialup, plus *real* (RS232-based) modems are cheap and ALL
of them work out-of-the-box. From many points of view, winmodems are
pointless hardware.

CentOS only has these problems WRT laptops (or desktops to a lesser
extent):

It is an 'conservitive' distro (same can be said about all of the
RHEL-based distros).  This means three *main* things:

1) Support for bleeding edge hardware might be a problem.  Mostly things
   like sound cards, WiFi NICs, and (cheap) digital cameras. Most other
   hardware is 'standardized' enough to work on some level (eg video
   cards will work at basic resolution levels, etc.) RedHat does back
   port critical hardware drivers (things like mass storage
   controller drivers (SATA, SCSI, RAID, etc.)).

2) You won't get the most recent, hot, bleeding edge version of
   software. You also won't get buggy software either. No great loss
   IMHO.

3) RHEL distros will lack most of the flashy toys (eg fancy
   multi-media), including flashy eye-candy.

Only 1 is really a 'problem' for laptops, since fresh off the showroom
floor laptops tend to have all sorts of bleeding edge hardware.  With a
desktop one can mix-and-match compatible PCI cards, etc. and avoid or
cure these problems. One *could* just snarf a suitable kernel from
FC-land if one knows what one is doing, etc.

2 & 3 can be solved with a combination of CentOSPlus, epel, rpmforge,
and lots of fun with rpmbuild and srpms from FC-land (or even more fun
with tar & make and related tools).  I've even dropped in RPMs from
Mandrake and SUSE onto my system (rpmfind.net can be quite useful at
times). I've even snarfed srpms from other distros and bashed them
though rpmbuild, usually after tinkering with the .spec file.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933