[CentOS] Intel Atom systems?

Tue May 26 09:34:29 UTC 2009
J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL <J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Angus MacGyver
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 5:51 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Intel Atom systems?

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 16:22 +0200, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> >> Any comments on CentOS 5 on Intel Atom CPUs?
> >>
> >> I need to build a couple of inexpensive systems that will be used
> >> primarily as gateway/firewall systems with OpenVPN, and need
> >> recommendations in reliable hardware platforms.  These will need
> >> two NICs.
> >>

> > Go with Soekris, they are built for that purpose. You can even get
> > an SSL accelerator card for them. Mine has a ~500Mhz AMD Geode CPU,
> > 512MB ram, I added a 1GB CF card, it has 4x100Mbit NICs, it has a
> > slot for a PCI device, I put a bracket with another serial port on
> > there to hook to a UPS, has a USB port, and a serial port for
> > console access, draws a tiny amount of power.
> >
> > I don't consider linux a good platform for firewall or VPN devices
> > myself, I use OpenBSD, with pf. I have an OpenVPN from my soekris
> > box at home to my co-located server(runs Debian), have had it hooked

> > up for almost a year now, works great. I don't need the SSL
> > acceleration card as my commit rate at the colo is only 1Mbit, so I
> > don't want to push a lot of traffic.
> >
> > http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm
> >
> > These things are designed from the ground up to be firewall/VPN
> > appliances(low end mind you, your not gonna be pushing gigabits of
> > traffic through them). The CPU on mine doesn't even have a heat
> > sink.
> >
> > nate

WRAP's are old, but I've still got one powering my firewall/VPN device,
years later(WAN/LAN and DMZ), and the ALIX is a drop in replacement, and
I have one of those in a NAS.

Granted, you ain't gonna get multi GB throughput, same as soekris, but
by goodness they are stable and reliable, zero moving parts, and as for
ALIX/WRAP series, pretty neglible power requirements.

Also agree with Nate, I'd choose a version of BSD for a firewall/gateway
device over Linux, either FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

Something new (shipping starts in june)
Have a look at:
http://www.fit-pc.net/fitpc-2-p-2.html or
http://www.fit-pc.info/downloads/handleidingen/fit_pc_2_eng.pdf
Intel Atom Z530 1,6 GHz
1 GB DDR2 onboard
1* 1000 BaseT Ethernet, RJ45
OPTION: 802,11g
6* USB 2.0 high speed ports (for additional ethernet ports)
Mini SD port
Either diskless or with 160GB sata
Size: 115 x 101 x 27

As it new hardware, chances are minute that any flavour of *BSD will run
on it for the next couple of years.
You can get it with linux pre-installed.