[CentOS] resolving names it is really slow slow with CentOS5.x using named

Tue May 26 11:06:49 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Victor Padro wrote:
> >>

> >> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:carlopmart at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     RobertH wrote:
> >>      > ive read most of the thread, yet not all. forgive me as i might
> >>     have missed
> >>      > some of this below in helping...
> >>      >
> >>      > carlopmart,
> >>      >
> >>      > what is in your /etc/resolv.conf
> >>
> >>     search hpulabs.org <http://hpulabs.org>
> >>     nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >>
> >>      >
> >>      > is it configured correctly?
> >>      >
> >>      > are you using ipv6?
> >>
> >>     no.
> >>
> >>      >
> >>      > if not, is it fully disabled / turned off?
> >>      >
> >>      > in modprobe.conf put
> >>      >
> >>      > alias net-pf-10 off
> >>      > alias ipv6 off
> >>
> >>     I have configured this previously ..
> >>

> >>      >
> >>      > reboot...
> >>      >
> >>      > also, are you loading those other opsys on the same machine and
> >>     getting good
> >>      > results or different machines?
> >>
> >>     I have good results using different operating systems but using same
> >>     hardware ..
> >>

> >>      >
> >>      > testing other opsys on different hardware could be problematic.
> >>      >
> >>      > did you bother to check the physical ports to see if any problems
> >>     in the
> >>      > switch or with ethtool on the server interface ?
> >>
> >>     No, I didn't do it because i have good results using other opsys ...
> >>      >
> >>      > thoughtfully consinder following advise of others re: tcp and dns
> >>      >
> >>      > cables...
> >>      >
> >>      >  - rh
> >>      >
> >>      > _______________________________________________
> >>      > CentOS mailing list
> >>      > CentOS at centos.org <mailto:CentOS at centos.org>
> >>      >
> >>

> >>     --
> >>     CL Martinez
> >>     carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com
> >>

> >> Have you double checked your SELinux config?
> >
> > SeLinux is disabled on both CentOS servers ...
>
> For what it is worth, you may want to double-check via chkconfig.   I
> once told initial configuration of a CentOS box to disable SELinux,
> only to discover chkconfig still had it enabled.   As soon as I told
> chkconfig to disable it, it was off.
>
> Same for the firewall.  During initial config, turned it off.
> chkconfig revealed it was on.
> I manually told chkconfig ip6tables off and iptables off, and only
> [...]

You don't want to use chkconfig to turn on/off the firewall (iptables).
This is controled by the presense (or not) of /etc/sysconfig/iptables!
Which in turn is controlled by system-config-securitylevel.