[CentOS] loading a program in memory for faster startup

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Sun Nov 1 20:35:55 UTC 2009

>  more /etc/readahead.d/impress.later
> /usr/bin/soffice
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
I created the above file /etc/readahead.d/impress.later
Put in it the two lines above. The /etc/init.d/readahead_later script
takes any
file name *.later so I made a new file instead of editing
/etc/readahead.d/default.later

I did service readahead_later restart

I then started impress a couple times and it still takes a LONG time
to startup. I was "hoping" it would be cached in memory and start right up.

I can find anything in dmesg or /var/log/messages that says any error
for readahead
or that anything is happening.

How do I know the server is or is not doing anything for me? As I
mentioned I
did not notice any difference in application load time.

Thanks,

Jerry