[CentOS] Dealing with MS .msg files on Linix

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Nov 2 19:06:25 UTC 2009

I am a digest subscriber, so the favour of a direct copy of any
replies is requested.

Our firm uses SquirrelMail (SM) for email and we have a client who
has begun sending us email documents that SM cannot open.  This is a
MicroSoft Outlook artifact and I suspect it is tied to the XML used
in the message composition.  The problem for us is that the result
of opening such an email with SM is that it displays nothing.  The
To, From, Subject, and message body all all missing and no
attachments are found.

If we use Thunderbird then we can see the original message and its
attachments; and that is what we are using in the meantime to get
around this problem.  However, it would be far more convenient if we
could use some way of dealing with this message format from within
SM.

Has anyone here run into this situation?  How did you handle it?  Is
there a SquirrelMail solution or must we change email programs just
to deal with this correspondent?

I have done the Google thing and have not turned up anything of use.
Perhaps I am using the wrong words.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3