[CentOS] mock, extras vs epel

Mr. X tlviewer at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 02:38:50 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil> wrote:

> From: Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>
> Subject: [CentOS] mock, extras vs epel
> Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 4:09 PM
> I am looking to be a bit more
> standard in the builds of my CentOS rpms, and so I was about
> install mock but noticed that there is one provided in the
> centos/5/extras and another in epel.
>
> epel is obviously newer, but are there reasons/experiences
> in this group that would suggest sticking
> with the extras version instead? Or even reasons other than
> the shiny version number on the epel one
> to go with it?

I'm a rank and file package builder too. Of course, Mock is not part of Centos base and you can't damage your install by using it, since it runs in a chroot.

Use the latest version (which might be epel) and get the hang of it - you may not like using it.

If you want to do broad searches about mock in C5, try the centos-dev group from the lists.centos.org page or #centos-dev on IRC.

--
Mark