[CentOS] recommend benchmarking SW

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Nov 3 14:03:04 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> We've got some new hardware and are trying to figure out what best to
> do with it.   Either run CentOS right on the bare metal, or
> virtualize, or several combination options.   Mainly looking at :
>
> - CentOS on bare metal
> - CentOS on ESXi 4.0 with local disk
> - CentOS on ESXi with 1 VM running Openfiler to serve disk to other VMs
>
> And want to benchmark these 3 scenarios
>
> So far all we have is a dd-based disk IO benchmark.
>
> What else can you all recommend.
>
> BTW, we also ideally want to try each of the above with a Postgres DB
> as well (and once without)

You can try fsbench which is not a generic benchmark. However, you
mention Postgres DB so it may or may not be useful to you. fsbench
simulates delivery to a maildir and simulates a single writer/reader to
16 writers/readers. Of course, it uses fsync calls unlike certain
benchmarking software that do nothing of the sort like postmark. If you
need a copy of fsbench, I have the original tarball that Bruce Guenter
published.