[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Nov 4 19:52:34 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:

> OK, but if I have to write the script, why wouldn't I just write the
> script my way and automate it over ssh which already works instead of
> learning some new language and having to install some new agent
> everywhere to run it?

If your just interested in doing one thing then you wouldn't.. the
thread seemed to dive into broader topics than one particular issue.

> It's next to impossible to get or set a duplex setting via snmp. And
> non-trivial to figure out what switch port is connected to what device -
> OpenNMS does a reasonable job but if you activate all of its checks it
> can kill things that have full bgp routes.

LLDP is supposed to address that, or CDP if your Cisco, EDP if your
Extreme etc. I haven't had the need to go to this level myself,
though a former co-worker of mine who is a former amazonian said they
used CDP all the time on their systems to detect what switch/port/etc
their systems were on(5+ years ago, not sure what they do now)

http://openlldp.sourceforge.net/

nate