[CentOS] user management solution needed

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 4 20:10:41 UTC 2009

> OK, google comes up with what looks like some easy HOWTOs for LDAP
>
> I'll dig in and come back with questions as required

Don't believe it.

The fall of '06, my manager and the other admin and I were discussing what
to use for single sign-on. NIS has way too many holes, and no one was wild
about NIS+, so, though none of us had dealt with it before, I though LDAP
was the wave o' the future, and offered to implement it. A month or so
later, and *lots* of grief and hair tearing (and I ain't got none to
spare), I got it in. openLDAP's docs were *way* insufficient, and the
tools that come with it are *not* ready for prime time, and user-surly, to
say the least.

It works, though.

        mark