[CentOS] [Samba] Accessing Windows file-system from Linux samba server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Nov 5 01:50:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 10:43 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > When you mount the share, specify a Windows username to connect as
> > (mount ... -o username=tim)
> Thanks for your response.
> But sadly, this does not make the slightest difference.
> Incidentally, the machine is running Windows XP Pro,
> and I am the Administrator.
> I can browse in one share, but not the other,
> although as far as I can see everything about them is identical,
> except that they are on different drives:
> [root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGD
> /mnt/win
> [root at helen ~]# ls /mnt/win
> The Sims 2
> [root at helen ~]# umount /mnt/win
> [root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGC
> /mnt/win
> mount error 13 = Permission denied
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
no matter how many lists you ask or how many different ways you want to
keep asking the question, your problem is always Windows permissions are
blocking you. This is not a Linux question. If you don't have
permissions to mount a share or descend into a subdirectory, your
problem lies with Windows permissions.

Your first example demonstrates that it works. Your second example
demonstrates that a permissions issue from the Windows 'server' is
blocking you. There's no guarantee that even if you are the
administrator that you can access a share, folder or file. Windows has a
fairly sophisticated ACL system and you would probably be better served
learning it than asking so many lists the same questions.

believed to be clean.