[CentOS] [Samba] Accessing Windows file-system from Linux samba server

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Nov 5 01:50:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 10:43 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Adam Nielsen wrote:
>
> > When you mount the share, specify a Windows username to connect as
> > (mount ... -o username=tim)
>
> Thanks for your response.
> But sadly, this does not make the slightest difference.
> Incidentally, the machine is running Windows XP Pro,
> and I am the Administrator.
>
> I can browse in one share, but not the other,
> although as far as I can see everything about them is identical,
> except that they are on different drives:

> [root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGD
> /mnt/win
> [root at helen ~]# ls /mnt/win
> The Sims 2
> [root at helen ~]# umount /mnt/win
> [root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGC
> /mnt/win
> mount error 13 = Permission denied
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
----
no matter how many lists you ask or how many different ways you want to
keep asking the question, your problem is always Windows permissions are
blocking you. This is not a Linux question. If you don't have
permissions to mount a share or descend into a subdirectory, your
problem lies with Windows permissions.

Your first example demonstrates that it works. Your second example
demonstrates that a permissions issue from the Windows 'server' is
blocking you. There's no guarantee that even if you are the
administrator that you can access a share, folder or file. Windows has a
fairly sophisticated ACL system and you would probably be better served
learning it than asking so many lists the same questions.

Craig

believed to be clean.