[CentOS] MySQL installation problem

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Nov 5 17:43:04 UTC 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> Well, the service people supposedly installed mysql-server, but here's
> this:
>
> [root at 13gems /]# yum clean all
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> Cleaning up Everything
> Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
> [root at 13gems /]# yum install vsftp
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> Determining fastest mirrors
>  * addons: mirror.stanford.edu <http://mirror.stanford.edu>
>  * atomic: www4.atomicorp.com <http://www4.atomicorp.com>
>  * base: mirrors.kernel.org <http://mirrors.kernel.org>
>  * extras: mirrors.usc.edu <http://mirrors.usc.edu>
>  * updates: mirrors.bluehost.com <http://mirrors.bluehost.com>
> addons
> |  951 B     00:00
> addons/primary
> |  203 B     00:00
> atomic
> |  951 B     00:00
> atomic/primary
> | 224 kB     00:00
> atomic
> 670/670
> base
> | 2.1 kB     00:00
> base/primary_db
> | 2.0 MB     00:01
> extras
> |  951 B     00:00
> extras/primary
> | 118 kB     00:00
> extras
> 290/290
> updates
> | 1.9 kB     00:00
> updates/primary_db
> | 274 kB     00:01
> Setting up Install Process
> No package vsftp available.
> Nothing to do
> [root at 13gems /]#
>
> TIA,
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Alan Sparks <asparks at doublesparks.net
> <mailto:asparks at doublesparks.net>> wrote:
>
>     Victor Subervi wrote:
>     > Man, this is getting frustrating. In addition to all the other yum
>     > install commands that tell me there's nothing to do, I add these:
>     > yum install mysql-server.i386
>     > yum install mysql-server
>     > What gives?
>     > TIA,
>     > V
>     >

>     Is your Yum configuration broken?  Can you post the exact console
>     output
>     of running 'yum install mysql-server'?
>     Maybe try a 'yum clean all' beforehand?
>     -Alan

You have the package name wrong.  It should be "vsftpd".

$ sudo yum info '*vsftp*'
Available Packages
Name       : vsftpd
Arch       : x86_64
Version    : 2.0.5
Release    : 16.el5
Size       : 139 k
Repo       : base
Summary    : vsftpd - Very Secure Ftp Daemon
URL        : http://vsftpd.beasts.org/
License    : GPL
completely from
           : scratch.