[CentOS] Long tar -x: Box Shuts Down

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Nov 6 00:01:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 11:53:05PM +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:03:49 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> >> My Centos 5.2 box shuts itself down during a long tar -x.  There is
> >> plenty of disk available. This is new; it worked in the past.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > Are you dropping things on top of running programs (like tar itself) or
> > /proc or /sys?
> I hope not; I am putting the result in a data directory.

Has your machine got a bad CPU cooling fan?  The work involved in bulk
operations like that might be causing it to overheat and perform a thermal
shutdown....  or simply crash.  I had a Windows machine that would work
just fine, except one program would cause a crash after 10 minutes;
turns out it was stressing the CPU and causing overheating problems
'cos the CPU fan had died!  Nothing else was causing enough workload to
cause the problem.