[CentOS] administering an MS Windows partition under Linux

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Nov 6 21:29:30 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:04:43PM -0700, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> The only thing I know is the password cracker, which boots Linux, of
>> course, and mounts the Windoze partition, then walks you through
>> resetting
>> the password. I *think* it lets you do some other things, *maybe* (it's
>> been nearly three years since I needed it) has a tool for the registry.
>>
>> I'm having trouble googling it - I'm being prevented by security here.
>
> The name of the CD is ntpasswd.  The web site is here:
>
> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> It says that it also has a registry editor, but I've never used it
> except for resetting (note: not cracking) user passwords.

That's the one! Yeah, where I was working at the time, when some of us
started, they had us expense laptops. At the end of the year, budget
use-it-or-lose-it, they hired another, I think it was seven folks. This
time, they were going through corporate purchasing, so to keep them from
sitting there for a month (about how long it actually took), I was running
around, crazed, finding everything that wasn't a boat anchor. (Boat anchor
was defined as 486's, and ->386's<-) So then, no one knew the passwords,
so I reset 'em, then booted 'em up and set up users accounts, tcp/ip, etc.

I *really* appreciated ntpasswd.

      mark