[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:15:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:37 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Christoph Maser wrote:
>
>> I work in a java shop and I really thik you both are wrong. We do some
>> pretty amazing things with it and openjdk in centos (wich I think you
>> were relating to) is working quite well for us.
>
> For me it's never been an issue, I've been in java shops since
> pre RHEL, and we've always installed 3rd party jdks, it's not
> that hard they come in RPM format, at least Sun JDK and BEA
> Jrockit. It's by no means the only 3rd party RPM that we use.
>
> Short of those dropping off the face of the planet myself I have
> no reason to try anything else.

When the developers use non Sun naming conventions, then their apps
work whether on the opensource or Sun jre.  So, developers please test
on both java runtimes.

i am spoiled by yum install and Sun does not have a repository even
though the frequent security updates necessitate it.  So i end up
having to install the Sun jre by hand on workstations.  Which one of
the solutions mentioned in this thread are proven to update a fleet of
workstations with the latest Sun jre?

homemade yum repo
clusterssh
opennms