[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:43:26 UTC 2009

Rob Townley wrote:

> i am spoiled by yum install and Sun does not have a repository even
> though the frequent security updates necessitate it.  So i end up
> having to install the Sun jre by hand on workstations.  Which one of
> the solutions mentioned in this thread are proven to update a fleet of
> workstations with the latest Sun jre?
>
> homemade yum repo
> clusterssh
> opennms
> cacti
> puppet
> ocs
> spacewalk

The 'right' way to do this used to be, and probably still is, to build
an RPM that matches the RH alternatives conventions, put it in your
local yum repository which is configured on all of your machines, then
use puppet, ssh or whatever you'd normally use to trigger an install or
update.  I'm not sure if the jpackage repo still has the nosrc package
to build this rpm or not.

But, if openjdk 1.6 works for your apps, it is already available as a
yum install.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com