[CentOS] Centos as a file storage/backup destination (Advice)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:22:28 UTC 2009

Roland Roland wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> am considering setting up centos as a file storage/ backup destination
> for Mac's TimeMachine.
>
> all my users would get synced directly to specific folders on this machine..
> needless to say space is of importance. where every user has an average
> 200 GB of data to b synced (entire system)...
> I have 27 users hence 27 *200 equals to almost 6 TB so I was considering
> getting either 4 * 1.5 TB or 6 * 1 TB to be used on one PIV with a 1 GB
> ethernet.
>
> but the thing is, I'm an expert with this! so I'm seeking your help..
> is there any other way to do so ? is there any limitation
> hardware/centos wise for the amount of drives available on a system?
> is Motherboard available sata/ide slots is the only limitation? how
> about using a USB hub and plugging them as such?
>
> any advice is greatly appreciated Smile emoticon
>

> thanks and excuse my newbie question.

Does every user have a unique 200GB or is there a large amount of duplication?
If most of the content is duplicated, you might look at using backuppc instead
of time machine because it will find matching content and pool it with hard
links - and it compresses files for additional space saving.  It is a little
more trouble to set up and there are some quirks with mac files, but it might be
worth it.

As for space, I'd get a big tower case and a pci-X or -E controller card like
this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com