[CentOS] mirrorlist for 5.4

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Sun Nov 8 22:22:51 UTC 2009

Simon Wesp wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 08.11.2009, 18:20 +0000 schrieb Markus Falb:
>> I know that release=5 is working, but this is not what i want.
> really? think about again, please!

Aha...

>> In my Experience it is not always possible to upgrade all machines to the
>> newest and shiniest OS out there.
> This is not a distro like Whatever-Badbuntu. There *can* be problems,
> but I never had a problem with updating x.n to x.n+1 or x.n+2..

But if there *can* be problems, whats your point then ? I read the
Release Notes and there are some known listed problems and if a listed
problem is applicable to one or more of my machines i can not upgrade
without further thougths. Anyway, why do you suppose i am a Ubuntu User ?

>> I have to maintain machines with 5.3 and machines with 5.4 and ...
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
>> My argument is that i do not want have Updates offered that are not
>> appropriate.
> This isn't an argument, this is ignorance. 90% of all updates are fixes
> of bugs and security-issues.

I do not want to ignore Updates, I do want to decide if a update is safe
or possible or (sometimes) even necessary for a given machine. Possibly
doing blindly Updates is ignorant. I agree that 90% of the updates are
kind of No Brainers. Whats with the rest ?

Have a look into the Release Notes, there are known issues. I know there
often are Solutions, Workarounds, but thats not the point. What I want
to say, there *can* and there *are* issues at times.

I dont want a Monitoring System going crazy about pending Updates.

If I have an old release running (whatever the reason may be) i need to
be able to install an old release of CentOS, Packages from the old
release and so on, so I need an old version lying around. All that
requires the possibility to mirror by exact release (or am i blind ?). ?
I was not saying: I dont want that Update stuff.

All that said, i think there are situations where exact release
versioning is necessary.

- --
bests regards,
markus
Die Lage: Um die 8 Grad in Wien und mittlerweile trocken.