[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 logrotate and syslog

Ryan Ivey iveymr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:47:01 UTC 2009

Anyone having problems with logrotate and CentOS 5.4?

Although I have /etc/logrotate.d/mail (contents below) to rotate my maillog
file, it fails to do it automatically:

/var/log/maillog {
    maxage 365
    rotate 60
     /etc/init.d/MailScanner restart

# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 5

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed

# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp -- we'll rotate them here
#/var/log/wtmp {
#    monthly
#    minsize 1M
#    create 0664 root utmp
#    rotate 1

# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.

The file rotates correctly if I manually force it, however my logs won't
update until I restart syslogd.  In other words, the new /var/log/maillog
isn't created after the logrotate.  I have to manually restart syslogd and
manually touch /var/log/maillog.

I've made no changes to syslog.conf:

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log