[CentOS] SELinux and KVM

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Nov 9 19:48:50 UTC 2009

I removed qemu and reinstalled virt-manager using the -x qemu
switch.  Everything installs and I get kvm-qemu-img instead of qemu.
 Of course, virt-manager now does not work.  It opens but it does
not provide any means of adding a new virtual host.  This places me
back at my point of departure, albeit in a much fouler mood.

I am afraid I am not seeing the logic behind this sort of install
cockup.  If qemu is not supposed to be used at all then why is it
even available and why does it install in preference to
kvm-qemu-img?  If kvm-qemu-img is supposed to be used instead of
qemu then why does not virt-manager work with it?  If qemu is
supposed to be used if one uses virt-manager then why does qemu
violate the SELinux profile?  If virt-manager is not supposed to be
used then why is it available?

Am I missing something obvious here.  Is there a way to configure
virt-manager or kvm-qemu-img so that they work together?

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3