[CentOS] Audio issue(s)

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:05:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> MHR wrote:
>> I just bought a new (refurbished) Everexe StepNote laptop with a VIA
>> C7-M CPU and a VIA chipset, installed CentOS 5.4 on it and the audio
>> is not working.
>>
>> I looked around for a sound driver for the VIA vt1708/a, which is what
>> it claims to have (see below), but that didn't work either.
>>
>> Any pointers as to what I'm missing?
>
> Really stupid question: did you try running system-config-sound, and making
> sure that system volume wasn't on mute?

Yes, that was the first place I checked.  It shows:

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition
Audio Controller)
Module: snd-hda-intel

The PCM device setting space is blank.

Under the System tab, it shows:

ALSA Driver version: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14rc3
ALSA Lib package(s): alsa-lib-1.0.17-1.el5
ALSA Utils package(s): alsa-utils-1.0.17-1.el5

The "latest" audio driver I could find was the 1.40 patched driver,
and that didn't work at all (could not even recognize the sound card).

I would only consider the question stupid if I had already answered
it, which I did not - thanks.

mhr