[CentOS] RAIDs and JBOD?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Nov 11 00:25:11 UTC 2009

James Bensley wrote:

> suffice (simple because my budget is low and hardware RAID controller
> cards are more expansive, in my experience but if you know of a good
> bargain I'm all ears!).

Budget RAID cards should be avoided like swine flu, your better
off with non RAID cards with linux software RAID like you said..

With the exception of older cards, I still run a pair of 3ware
8006-2 cards (2 port as the name implies), they look to run
about $150 at the moment. The cards came out about 5 years ago
so their performance isn't great but I trust them more than
other controllers with my own data. Eventually I will replace
the systems with something more modern(both systems are
~4-5 years old as well).

nate