[CentOS] software installation - good practice

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:08:55 UTC 2009

Carlos Santana wrote:

>>> I tend to try out many open source apps/packages
>> I make a separate directory for each application in /usr/local
>> so they are isolated from each other.
>>

> You mean /usr/local or /usr/local/src ?
> I would create new directory under /usr/local/src and put source
> there. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> This brings one more confusion:
>  - whether to use /usr space or /opt .
>
> Any comments?

In general, /usr/local or /opt is _your_ space, where /bin, /lib, the
rest of /usr, /var, etc. are the distribution's space.  What you do in
your space is up to you.  Most things will land under /usr/local when
built from a non-distribution-specific source.  Leaving them there and
adjusting your PATH if necessary to run them is a reasonable way of
doing non-standard things.  And you probably aren't going to get any
better agreement on a standard for non-standard builds...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com