[CentOS] Installing libssl-dev

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Nov 12 19:41:37 UTC 2009

> Hi;
> I can't "yum install libssl-dev" because apparently it doesn't exist. Please

Did you try openssl-devel?

sauron.deepsoft.com% yum info openssl-devel
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Reducing CentOS-4 - Plus to included packages only
Finished
Installed Packages
Name   : openssl-devel
Arch   : i386
Version: 0.9.7a
Release: 43.17.el4_7.2
Size   : 3.6 M
Repo   : installed

 OpenSSL is a toolkit for supporting cryptography. The openssl-devel
package contains static libraries and include files needed to develop
applications which support various cryptographic algorithms and
protocols.

BTW: RedHat uses '-devel' for development packages.  I believe Debian (et
al.) uses '-dev' for development packages.