[CentOS] vsftpd question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:05:39 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'd consider starting things at boot time to be as unrelated as you can
>> get.  There's next to nothing in common between bsd and sysV oriented
>> systems (I think the ones you mention are mostly sysV-ish).  And the ftp
>> config concepts go with the choice of the application, which varies even
>> more wildly.
> Indeed, when I had to set some stuff up on an AIX 5.3 server a few years
> back, the BSD style init scripts rather threw me.  It was almost as if
> there was just an rc.local.
> And, going in the other direction, the Service Manager Facility in
> Solaris 10 is completely different, using XML service manifests, with
> monitor scripts, service properties, and a sophisticated dependency
> system so a service *can't* be started until all its dependencies are
> running.

People who are hopelessly locked in to a single flavor by some earlier
choice of tools or hardware may not even understand why and how much of
a problem this lack of standardization is.  Even though perl and
bourne-compatible shell scripts may have matching syntax across these
platforms, anything dealing with automating system administration is
generally doomed to failure.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com