[CentOS] Virtualization option at firstinstall CentOS-5.4 x86_64

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Tue Nov 17 03:20:37 UTC 2009

Dave:

> In the Red Hat 5 Virtualization documentation it seems to strongly
> recommends having at least one physical cpu per VM.  Since I
> have a quad
> core and I want to run the host plus 2-3 VMs, I decided give
> each VM one
> virtual cpu. Maybe I was too cautious.

In section 28.4 of the RHEL 5.4 Virtualization Guide,
they state:

Virtualized CPUs are overcommitted best when each virtualized
guest only has a single VCPU. The Linux scheduler is very efficient
with this type of load. KVM should safely support guests with
loads under 100% at a ratio of 5 VCPUs Overcommitting single
VCPU virtualized guests is not an issue.

So, if you are going to overcommit CPUs, make sure each
one of the guests has a single VCPU.  If you want to
allocate multiple VCPUs to the guests, do not overcommit
the CPUs.

I hope this helps,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!