[CentOS] version pinning with yum

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Wed Nov 18 16:33:29 UTC 2009

Well, there's a bug in the globbing for the tcsh with 5.4, and my boss has
filed a bug report. Meanwhile, I downgraded tcsh on those systems whose
users use that as their shell.

Until it's resolved, he wants me to pin the version. Googling, I see
someone a few years ago, answering someone's question, suggested adding
exclude=openoffice*
near the top of /etc/yum.conf.

I also see, more recently, several additional yum-related rpms, such as
yum-versionlock.

Will the first solution work (editing yum.conf), and, if so, for tcsh,
would I need the asterisk, or would
exclude=tcsh
work?

Alternatively, is that deprecated, and if so, which additional yum-related
package is recommended for this?

       mark