[CentOS] Sendmail "Queued mail for delivery"

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Nov 22 00:07:21 UTC 2009

I see that mail sent from a remote computer
never leaves the computer,
the last entry in /var/log/maillog being
"Queued mail for delivery".

1. What is likely to cause this message?
I know I registered with my remote mail server
with a different name to my name on the computer.

Is that likely to be the cause of my problem?
And if so, what is the solution?

Or is there any other likely cause?

Incidentally, I can telnet the mail server:
---------------------------------------
m at althea ~]$ telnet out.alice.it 25
Trying 85.33.2.55...
Connected to out.alice.it (85.33.2.55).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 FBCMCL01B06.fbc.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
6.0.3790.3959 ready at  Sun, 22 Nov 2009 01:02:20 +0100
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

2. Where incidentally is the mail queued for delivery?
I don't see it in /var/cache/ .

Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net