[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Nov 23 23:59:55 UTC 2009

Susan Day wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com
> <mailto:craigwhite at azapple.com>> wrote:
>
>     yum install postfix system-switch-mail
>     # edit /etc/postfix/main.conf
>     system-switch-mail # choose postfix, confirm
>     # done
>

> Craig, I stopped qmail, which I had installed outside of yum, turning
> off sendmail first, then I just did a yum install postfix and (I
> believe) /etc/init.d/postfix start or some such and it's sending
> email. All well, or should I do a yum remove postfix and then your
> commands?

What kind of email is it sending? Email accepted via smtp? What about
system generated mail? Check that the symlinks are not still pointing to
qmail. ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail, ls -l /usr/lib/sendmail. If both these
are pointing to something under /etc/alternatives then check those
symlinks in /etc/alternatives. (mta-mailq, mta, mta-sendmail, etc)