[CentOS] rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed: connection refused"

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Nov 25 23:26:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:04:59PM -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4
>
> 1. Flush the cache buffers:
>
>    rndc flush
>
> 2. Stop named:
>
>    rndc stop
>
> 3. Delete the journal files:
>
>    rm *.jnl
>
> 4. Edit the forward and/or reverse zone files as necessary.
>
> 5. Restart named:
>
>    rndc start
>
> Everything works fine until the last command which fails with:
>
>    rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>
> I can get around this by using "service named start" but I should not
> have to do this. Has anyone encountered something similar and can pass
> on some words of wisdom?

	You are going through entirely too many steps.

	1)  Edit zone file

	2)  rndc reload foo.com

	Also in the steps you have taken above you are stopping bind
	via rndc stop and then trying to start it with the unknown
	"start" command.  Even if "start" was known it would not work,
	rndc communicated directly with named, and since it was already
	stopped in a previous step there is no way that your "start"
	(or any other command, reload, flush, whatever) could work at
	that point.

							John

--
"The Special Olympics is to winners as FOX News is to experts.
If you show up, you are one."

-- Jon Stewart