[CentOS] Centos 5.4 on Acer Aspire One

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 27 10:51:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 23:01 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11.  I
> would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.
> I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
> flash drive out of it.  Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
> drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white.  If I
> hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
> or words to that effect.  (It's very faint and hard to read against the
> white background.)  That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
> the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
> printed.
> Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
> beeps.  I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
> than a completely white screen.
> Am I doing something wrong?  Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
> installed that from a livecd.
did you create that USB disk using Fedora or CentOS?

does this relate?

Your description of the problem reminded me exactly of the problem I had
when I tried to do the same thing to install F11 Beta

I can't think of any reason I would put CentOS on my Aspire One...I've
got it working well with F12 now

believed to be clean.