[CentOS] Installing CentOS 5.4 64bit on server with LSI SAS 1068E controller.

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Nov 27 23:19:16 UTC 2009

Steve Thompson wrote:
> I have a bunch of machines with the LSI 1068E chip, and they _do_ work
> fine with the default drivers, for both 5.3 and 5.4

I'm curious...   that chip [1] claims RAID 0/1/10/10e support and
implies its hardware raid.     Is the integrated RAID support in fact
true raid, such that they present a single SCSI unit per logical volume,
or is it some form of fake raid which requires driver intervention to
make it play?      If it is hardware raid, does the chip/hardware
transparently handle rebuilds?  hot sparing?    or does it rely on BIOS
and drivers to implement these features?

I'd certainly be concerned about the lack of raid cache memory with a
battery back option, and would tend to want to use them as JBOD and use
the operating system native mdraid instead ...