[CentOS] NetworkManager constantly overwriting /etc/resolve.conf - how to disable?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Nov 30 12:18:15 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>

> > You either
> >
> > A) Don't have NetworkManager installed on the other servers
> > (eg 'rpm -q NetworkManager' yields 'package NetworkManager is not installed')
> >
> > OR
> >
> > B) Don't have NetworkManager running on the other servers
> > (eg '/sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager --list' yields
> > 'NetworkManager 0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off')
> >

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
> > heller at deepsoft.com       -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

> Thanx Robert, so it's safe to remove NetworkManager then? I have done

For a server, yes.  NetworkManager is the system deamon that works with
the GNome network management applet that provides the UI to finding and
connecting to things like wireless networks.  It is mainly only really
useful for laptops with wireless networking.  It could also be used for
things like Air Cards and 'hard networks' (laptops and 'roving'
desktops which get pluged into different networks).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933