[CentOS] non-threaded perl no longer in .spec file

Kurt Hansen

khansen at charityweb.net
Mon Nov 30 21:16:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm setting up a new server on 5.4 and noticed this in the perl.spec file:

* Mon Jul 21 2008 Stepan Kasal - 4:5.8.8-14.el5
- add two patches, which...
- Resolves: #435505, #431041
- remove %%define threading, the non-threading variant is not supported,
  Related: 435376

That comment wasn't there when I set up a server on 5.2 a few months
back and the %define threading option was still in the perl.spec file,
making it easy for me to create my own non-threaded perl.

I want a non-threaded perl because the mod_perl folks say that the
performance is better on a non-threaded perl.

I believe I can compare the spec files and figure out where to edit the
new spec file, but I wondered about that "not supported" comment.

Is there something "bad" about the non-threading variant?

Thanks!

Take care,

Kurt Hansen
khansen at charityweb.net