[CentOS] SMART errors

Fri Nov 6 18:57:51 UTC 2009
Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

I dumpster dived an older low end Dell (actually, found it in a field in
a fresh dump pile). Case looked good, only flaws appeared to be missing
cdrom bezel and the heat sink clamp was off (but not broken).

After cleaning cpu/heat sink and fresh thermal paste, I found out why it
was dumped - the internal hard drive was bad, and the optical drive is
going bad.

I had an old 80 GB Seagate and the optical drive was good enough to boot
the boot.iso and do a network install, so I put CentOS 5.4 on it.

It is working extremely well as a small headless server, but my Seagate
drive has given some SMART errors. This is a drive that has been out of
service for several years, I had 60GB worth of flac files on it, and had
no trouble getting them off before formatting (and all matched their
md5sum).

It appears all the errors happen at boot - IE

Error 10 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1248 hours (52 days + 0 hours)
   When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was
active or idle.

   After command completion occurred, registers were:
   ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
   -- -- -- -- -- -- --
   84 51 00 65 69 db e1  Error: ICRC, ABRT at LBA = 0x01db6965 = 31156581

   Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
   CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
   -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
   c8 00 10 65 69 db e1 00      00:37:33.571  READ DMA
   c8 00 08 7d 4b db e1 00      00:37:33.515  READ DMA
   c8 00 30 4d 4b db e1 00      00:37:33.458  READ DMA
   c8 00 40 65 48 db e1 00      00:37:33.456  READ DMA
   c8 00 28 3d 48 db e1 00      00:37:33.419  READ DMA

etc. -  and no errors since boot.

Is that drive about to go south, or are the errors just symptoms of it
being older? Are there steps I should take?

drive info:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda ATA IV family
Device Model:     ST380021A
Serial Number:    3HV09PHE
Firmware Version: 3.05
User Capacity:    80,026,361,856 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   5
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Fri Nov  6 10:36:25 2009 PST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

-=-

Thanks for any suggestions.