[CentOS] SAMBA vs NFS

Thu Nov 26 15:15:14 UTC 2009
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

Hey folks,

A coworker wants to share drives between CentOS systems via SAMBA,
which sort of seems pretty counter intuitive to me.   But he says he's
had troubles in the past with NFS.   He was sort of short on details,
but something about NFS not being reliable unless you enable NFS
locking, but when you do that, you can end up in situations where if
the server crashes it can cause the clients to hang too.

I've used NFS for years in other jobs and don't recall issues like this.

Thoughts?

thanks,
-Alan