[CentOS] Centos 5.4 on Acer Aspire One

Fri Nov 27 05:01:31 UTC 2009
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11.  I
would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.

I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
flash drive out of it.  Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white.  If I
hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
or words to that effect.  (It's very faint and hard to read against the
white background.)  That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
printed.

Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
beeps.  I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
than a completely white screen.

Am I doing something wrong?  Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
installed that from a livecd.