[CentOS] smartmontools

Tue Nov 3 20:16:28 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hi, Corey,
>
> > m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of rolling out the upgrade from (mostly) 5.3 to 5.4.
> >> One of my servers started throwing the following:
> >> Nov  1 05:22:51 <server> kernel:  target4:0:0: FAST-80 WIDE SCSI 160.0
> >> MB/s DT (12.5 ns, offset 62)
> >> Nov  1 05:22:51 <server> kernel:  target4:0:1: FAST-80 WIDE SCSI 160.0
> >> MB/s DT (12.5 ns, offset 62)
> >>
> >> into my logs every half hour. I don't see anything resembling an error
> >> message. The only thing I noted while googling was everyone else spoke
> >> of "...ns, offset 127", but I have no clue if that's relevant to
> >> anything. The smartd.conf is the default. I'm not running the debug
> kernel.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this, and, if it's not
> >> important, how to get it to stop cluttering my logs?
> >>
> > What do you see when you run a smartctl -a $DEVICE on the drive that's
> > choking?
>
> Wasn't sure if I should run it on /dev/sdx, or /dev/sdx[#]. I did both, on
> all three drives, and no errors showing anywhere - the latter two (on
> /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc) show no uncorrected errors, and no errors corrected
> by ECC. /dev/sda gives me a lot more output, but says no errors logged.

smartctl works on the 'bare drive': /dev/sdx.  It makes no sense to run
it on a partition (and smartctl seems to ignore the partition number).

> I don't really understand why sda gives so much more info, nor do I

Different make/model/rev/firmware?  smartctl's output depends on what the
drive is able/willing to tell it in response to various requests.  The
more 'chatty' (so to speak) the drive, the more output smartctl
displays.  The -a option for SCSI disks is the same as '-H -i -A -l error
-l selftest', this is 5 key bits of information: health (-H) info (-i),
attributes (-A), and two flavors of error logs: error (-l error) and
selftest (-l selftest).  Not all drives have all of this info available.
Eg, if the drive has no error log, '-l error' does not display much (if
anything), if the drive has not done a selftest, then '-l selftest'
won't display much.  What the drive displays for its health, info, or
attributes depends on what the firmware has coded for those features.