[CentOS] Server packet loss and becomes unresponsive

Tue Nov 3 23:28:56 UTC 2009
Timothy <timmysql at progressivemarketingnetwork.com>

>do you have remote console access i.e. DRAC or ILO ?
No.

>did you mention if any recent OS or other software updates like 5.3 to 5.4
or otherwise?
It is a newer box w/ 5.4 installed.

>someone could be DOS'ing the server ???
Does not appear that way and if it was I would imagine console should still
work but it does not.

>do you run a firewall and drop bad traffic to the floor or is it wide open?
I do run a firewall and drop traffic.

>what about thermal issues?
Temp does not spike during these periods.

>recent BIOS update?
No

>also, you might consider using some boot time kernel parameters to disable
things hardware wise etc that are not absolutely necessary.

I have disabled acpi in kernel.  Anything else I should disable?

>does it match the switchport? i.e. hard set? auto negot? cisco should be
hard set.

Yes it matches but direct console crashes so I do not feel it is a network
issue. If it was I would imagine you should still be able to direct console
in.