[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Wed Nov 4 11:23:30 UTC 2009

On 11/04/2009 12:47 AM, Tracy Phillips wrote:
> Chef showed up on my radar this morning. Have you seen it or used it.
> Looks pretty promising.

I use Chef as well, and it is quite interesting in that it allows you to
essentially have a systems management object in a proper language ( Ruby
in this case ) rather than a DSL ( like puppet ). And while this is its
strength, its also - imho - a massive weakness.

If you have a few machines, and dont mind getting into installing and
managing a boat load of associated code, Chef is worth looking into. If
you are a large scale enterprise or a business where employing sysadmins
who are also expected to be moderately fluent in Ruby. I'd give Chef a
miss for the time being. There are a few wrappers being developed around
chef, none of which look mature enough to use. Wait for something to
come through those lines first.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh